Museum Fortress Königstein
wittenberg 4.0 surface mounted spotlights in historical architecture
One of the largest castle fortresses in Europe and one of the most important attractions in Saxony, the Königstein Fortress looms 240 m above the Elbe river on the flat top of the Königstein mountain in the middle of the Elbe Sandstone Mountains.
Over the course of its more than 800 year history, the fortress served as a sovereign retreat, cloister, military baracks, military hospital, and town jail. In 1955, the fortress was opened to the public as an open-air military history museum. Once unconquered, today the fortress is visited by more than a half-million tourists each year.
Between 2008 and 2015, the western part of the complex was extensively renovated and turned into a permanent exhibition. The interior lighting concept emphasizes the distinctive characteristics of the architecture. The installation of ceiling-mounted lights was limited and difficult to execute due to a layer of rubble and debris covering the vaults as protection in case of attack. In order to lay the cables and install lighting, it was first necessary to burrow through this cumbersome layer. These had to be laboriously dug through to enable the laying of cables and fixing of wittenberg surface-mounted spotlights as ceiling lights.