ESMT Berlin (former Monument state Council of the German Democratic Republic)
Modern energy-saving technology with 585 luminaires with over 4000 lighting points
The historically listed State Council building was built from 1962 until 1964, to house the State Council of the German Democratic Republic (GDR).
Following two years of renovation and restoration work, a new era was begun when the European School of Management and Technology (ESMT) moved into the building.
mawa design restored numerous existing lamps in the building, equipping them with modern energy saving technology. Centrally managed IT infrastructure provides enormous savings related to daily use of the building.
Offices, conference rooms, banquet halls, and ballrooms, in addition to the so-called Diplomats Hall on the upper floor, are housed in the interior of the building.
The building, located on Schlossplatz 1 in Berlin-Mitte was also used for awards and recognition ceremonies as well as diplomatic receptions.
A facade of sandstone and red granite decorates the structural steel skeleton. Integrated onto the facade are damaged, repaired, and newly rebuilt parts of the entry portal from the demolished Berlin City Palace, including the balcony from which Liebknecht gave his famous speech on Nov. 9, 1918, declaring a free socialist republic.
Chancellor Gerhard Schröder used the State Council building as a provisionary Federal Chancellery from 1999 until 2001.
More than 250 lights were refurbished.
Existing lights were outfitted with digitally controlled it-Tridonic System-Technology.
The dismantling and remounting of lights on site was undertaken at heights of up to 12 meters.